Monday 7 July 2014

Fears for the Future

This post will be a bit different. I thought it would be interesting to list down a few of my fears for the future... and then maybe one day I'll go back to this list and see if those fears ever materialize!



  1. That I'll embarrass Rachel because I have a hearing loss (believe it or not, this is actually a huge fear of mine!).
  2. Rachel won't want to have a *deep* conversation with me because I can't relate to her as she has perfectly normal hearing.
  3. I will be dependent on Rachel when she gets older, for little things that she shouldn't have to be responsible for (parent-isis syndrome in children).
  4. We have more kids than we can handle (number unknown!). This means less attention and time on the individual level. Plus - increased exhaustion. (I think this is a general fear!)
  5. The unknown. Whatever that might be.
  6. I won't be able to hold down a job due to my hearing loss, especially if telephone usage is absolutely necessary.
  7. I have no choice, but to send Rachel to daycare.
  8. The house will get damaged in an earthquake (you never know! We live on the Island, right on the ring of fire!)
  9. I'll change my mind about my career, and decide to go back for another degree (this is a fear I've had for a while now... do I really want to go back to school again!?!?)
  10. Start up my own company.
Many, many years ago, my mother gave me a newspaper clipping that I've kept all this time. I have them in front of me as I write (it has helped me through some challenging times!) and I'm going to reiterate them:


"Ten Commandments" written by ninety year old Elodie Armstrong, who had multiple sclerosis for forty years (culled from an Ann Landers' column, originally published in the Longview, WA Daily News)


  1. Thou shalt not worry, for worry is the most unproductive of all human activities
  2. Thou shalt not be fearful, for most of the things we fear never come to pass (Hmmmm. I think I should keep that in mind!)
  3. Thou shalt not cross bridges before you get to them, for no one has yet succeeded in accomplishing this. 
  4. Thou shall face each problem as it comes. You can handle only one at a time anyway.
  5. Thou shalt not take problems to bed with you, for they make very poor bedfellows.
  6. Thou shalt not borrow other people's problems; they can take better care of them than you can.
  7. Thou shalt not try to relive yesterday for good or ill - it is gone. Concentrate on what is happening in your life today. (This one is especially hard for me... I am the type to hold MAJOR grudges!!!!)
  8. Thou shalt count thy blessings, never overlooking the small ones, for a lot of small blessings add up to a big one.
  9. Thou shalt be a good listener, for only when you listen do you hear ideas different than your own. It is very hard to learn something new when you're talking. (I can relate to this one pretty well... I have learned over time that if I don't know enough about something, I'll stay mum about it for the interim!!!)
  10. Thou shalt not become bogged down by frustration, for ninety percent of it is rooted in self-pity and it will only interfere with positive action.

I hope this post will be like my time capsule, but online only. It'll be interesting to look back and wonder if these fears were unfounded.


1 comment:

  1. Love the 10 commandments... some good answers for the fears, huh? Thanks for sharing! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete